Wednesday, May 18, 2016

51 Hours Old



8pm 13/4/16

Dear Airlie,

You're 51 hours old as I sit here cuddling you to my breast. Not feeding, just cuddling and just being.

I realised I hadn't yet told you I love you out loud and so I did that, and then I had a big ugly cry as I came to understand how this moment right now will never be long enough. And there will never be enough days in our lifetimes for us to just be together. It's all already going too fast.

If I'm lucky, if I'm really lucky, I will live to be an old, old lady and maybe one day, hopefully a long time from now, you will hold me or hold my hand as I take my last breaths on this earth. You, right now, this tiny precious thing, who I held as you took your first breaths just 51 hours ago, will hold me as I hold you now. And it still won't be long enough. We will not have had enough time.

Where have these first 51 hours gone? I have been too busy trying to do everything right. Trying to feed right and sleep right and learn you like a science. Too busy notifying everyone and checking in and photographing you. It has all disappeared and I forgot, until now, to just love you and to tell you I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you.

I could stare at you, like this, right now, forever.

Love your mum, Bessie

3 comments:

  1. Incredibly beautiful Bessie. Also a good reminder for those of us with older children to slow down and enjoy each moment. Congratulations to you all xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful.
    Moments never last long enough.

    Congratulations! Treasure every moment, even the hard ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is just lovely Bessie! - congratulations your Airlie is just perfect. x

      Delete